CRANBERRY AND CARAMELISED RED ONION MAKE AHEAD GRAVY
2 Celery sticks – trimmed and chopped
2 Carrots, sliced
2 Onions – peels and quartered
5 bay leaves
5 sage leaves
4 sprigs of rosemary
2 rashers of streaky bacon
8 chicken wings
4 tablespoons of flour
Freeze dried caramelised red onions
Freeze dried sliced cranberries
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f/gas 6
- Put all the ingredients in a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil (put the bacon on the top of the veggies and break open the chicken wings to release flavour)
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper over the top and toss everything around in the tray
- Cook for 1 hour or until meat is falling off the chicken
- Take the tray out of the over and put on a hob over a low heat
- Using a potato masher grind all the ingredients up, keep mashing and moving all the ingredients around.
- Add in the flour and pour over 2 litres of hot water and bring to the boil for 10 minutes until thickened then turn the heat down for 25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- When the gravy is at the consistency you prefer check the flavour for seasoning then push the ingredients through a sieve into a large bowl.
- Push and mash everything through to get as much flavour as possible.
- Discard any bones and bits of veg left behind in the sieve.
- Allow to cool down to room temperature before putting into containers or freezer bags and pop into your freezer ready for Christmas day……or pour into a jug and serve whilst still hot
Serving Suggestion – The perfect Gravy to accompany your festive Roast dinner or as we did today had it as a side to our Turkey Roll.